Welcome to Part 3 of our 6-part blog series, Marketing Your Paving Company. In today’s post, we’re going to talk about on-page search engine optimization (SEO), but before we do that, in case you missed it, you can read Part 1 here, and Part 2 here.
So, what is on-page SEO anyway? Simply put, on-page SEO is purposeful content and HTML code that has been optimized so it is visible to Google (and other search engines). The most common way to add content to your website is by writing blog posts (similar to this one). The stronger your SEO, the better your chances at ranking higher within Google search results.
Where do you start when it comes to on-page SEO? You want to add keywords to your content (and HTML code) that attract Google but are also still user-friendly. So, your first step is to know what keywords to use.
On-Page SEO Do’s
- Keywords: You want to incorporate two types of keywords into your website: words for those who are ready to buy, and words for those who are doing research before they buy. For example, someone who’s ready to buy may type, “asphalt driveway repair [city name]” in the Google search bar. Whereas, someone who’s doing research may type something like “asphalt driveway vs gravel driveway.” In both instances, you want your paving company to come up on Google’s first page. This requires you to have the right keywords on multiple pages: your home page, your services page, and any relevant blog posts. These keywords need to appear as both text on the page where users are reading and as HTML coded keywords in the backend of your website.
- Be Generous: When it comes to blog posts, the idea is to give more – rather than less – information about your work and what you do. Many companies mistakenly think if they provide detail on how they complete a job, the customer (or potential customer) will take that information and do the work themselves. And the truth is, a few might–but the vast majority won’t. And in all cases, your website visitors want to know that you know how to do the job. Providing details allows for more opportunities to projects confidence, instills confidence, and boost your SEO!
On-Page SEO Don’ts
- Duplicate Your Content: This is exactly what it sounds like. Don’t copy and paste the same wording from one part of your website to another (from your About Us page to your Services page, for example). There’s a myth out there that Google will penalize you for duplicate content – they won’t – but they will only pull one of your pages (instead of all applicable pages) for their search results. So if you want all your pages to be found on Google, use different phrasing on each.
- Engage in Cloaking: Cloaking is the practice of entering keywords in HTML that have nothing to do with the content that’s displayed on the webpage. For example, if you put “the best type of asphalt to use” in your HTML keywords, but then only put your contact information on your webpage, that would be cloaking.
- Practice Keyword Stuffing: Keyword stuffing is the act of cramming as many keywords on your page as possible, sometimes repeating the same words over and over. The end result is content that makes little sense and seems to have been auto-generated from a template. Google picks up on this and will deem your page of little value and readers who visit your site won’t like it either.
One pro tip is this: research your competition. Complete a search on Google and see who appears on the first page. Visit their website and see what you like and dislike about their content. Then, write better and more engaging content for your own site. And don’t forget to include your keywords!
Want help finding the best keywords for your paving company? Schedule an appointment with us today for a free SEO strategy call and together, we can formulate a game plan to get your paving company ranking higher!